The summer is here in Scotland and that means more time for days out with family and friends. And whether you’re into outdoor adventures, discovering Scotland’s fascinating history, or fun activities with the children, we’ve got Scottish summer days out ideas for rainy days, sunny days and everything in between. Best of all, all of these days out are available through our regional Scotland Loves Local Gift Cards, so don’t forget to pack your gift card along with your picnic!
Action and adventure
- With 450m of track, and speeds of up to 40mph, Cambuslang is home to the largest indoor go-karting track in Scotland, and is just 6 miles from the city centre.
- Explore Scotland’s hidden and ancient glens as you swim, climb, jump and slide your way to deep pools and majestic waterfalls with Scotland’s Canyons in Fife.
Castles and stately homes
- Perched on a cliff with views across Oban Bay lies the medieval castle ruin of Dunollie, plus the 1745 House Museum. They’re holding a faeries and fabrics activity for children on Tuesday 9th August where children will create faerie stories, and create a faerie house and costumes. Booking essential.
- Edinburgh’s ‘other castle’ and safe haven of Mary Queen of Scots, step inside Craigmillar Castle with its tower house offering views to Holyrood Park and Edinburgh Castle.
Wildlife and animals
- Take a guided hill trip through the mountains with a herd of reindeer, courtesy of the Cairngorm Reindeer Centre; reindeers aren’t just for Christmas!
- See the animals, like Nala and Lucifer, the giant anteaters who arrived in June, on a visit to Camperdown Wildlife Centre.
Museums and exhibitions
- Visit one of Scotland’s best aviation museums Morayvia, located in Forres, for exhibits like the Nimrod XV240, the de Havilland Vampire XD425 and the Sea King XZ592.
- Thatched Blackhouse, Arnol, with its cosy box beds and furnishings, gives a fascinating insight into 19th century Herbridean island life.
Tours and experiences
- Learn how to brew your own beer at Stewart Brewing’s craft beer kitchen in Mid Lothian. They also have a pizza kitchen, featuring live music on a Thursday night 7-9pm.
- Step back in time with a tour of ‘Scotland’s toughest jail’, uncovering 125 years of turbulent history at Peterhead Prison Museum.
- Head to Motherwell Concert Hall and Theatre for the child-friendly Funbox Jungle Party on 14th August, and A Night At The Musicals on 26th August, featuring show tunes from Les Misérables, Phantom of the Opera, Wicked and more.
- Treat the kids to a swim session at Troon, Prestwick or Maybole Swimming Pools, they’re even running free swimming for under 17s at selected sessions until the 14th August 2022.
- Reserve your lane at Basebowl in Saltcoats, for some proper family fun!
See even more places to spend Scotland Loves Local Gift Cards at: https://scotlandgiftslocal.com/