12 amazing Scottish independent businesses
Scotland has some of the very best independent businesses, from craft makers to one of a kind experiences. Here’s our round up of 12 amazing Scottish businesses where you can spend Scotland Loves Local Gift Cards.
1. Scotts, Troon. Visit Scotts for its views looking out over Troon Marina and towards Barassie and Irvine, for its iconic fish tanks and for its seasonal menu with breakfast served from 9.30am-12noon. A two course Fork Out Less menu and main à la carte menu is available between noon and 8.30pm. See more on the South Ayrshire Gift Card.
2. Ace Adventures, Forres. Blow away the Christmas cobwebs with an outdoor adventure or camping experience with Ace Adventures. Activities include cliff jumping, river tubing, canoeing, kayaking. Stay in a luxurious woodland bell tent, a rustic shepherd’s hut or set up your own woodland pitch complete with outdoor showers. More places to spend a Moray Gift Card.
3. Loch Fyne Gallery, Tarbert. A large harbourside gift shop and art gallery in the working fishing village of Tarbert, selling jewellery, stationery, books, gifts, quality wall art and art prints. “One of the most popular items we sell are the art prints of the West coast of Scotland,” said owner Lesley Taylor. Part of the Argyll & Bute Gift Card.
4. Kate’s Boutique, Giffnock. Kate’s Boutique is a ladies wear and accessories store, stocking Peruzzi, Made in Italy and Scottish company Marble. Owner Anne Marie Dobbie said: “Marble is really popular with my customers because it’s all sized and fabulous quality.” See more places to spend an East Renfrewshire Gift Card.
5. Fabhatrix, Edinburgh. “Fabhatrix has been in Edinburgh for over 20 years now,” said owner and milliner Fawns Reid. “Our hats are handmade using Scottish Harris Tweed and other quality materials to create unique items, including women’s and men’s hats to suit any occasion from the races to a wedding, a festival to meeting the Queen.” Part of the Edinburgh Gift Card.
6. Once Upon a Whisky, Glasgow. Take a walking tour around Glasgow’s West End to the best whisky venues in the city, tasting 4 premium malt Scotch whiskies from small distilleries, complete with curious and quirky facts about whisky! They even offer home tasting boxes featuring 5 or 6 different whiskies. Owner Camilo Gómez said: “Scotland has some amazing local distilleries and whiskies, and our passion is helping our customers to discover them!” Over 150 businesses are part of the Glasgow Gift Card.
7. Cardhu, Troon. Multi-award winning Cardhu is a lifestyle store offering gifts, clothing, jewellery and interiors. “Our ethos is that in one store, you can find the perfect gift for any occasion,” said owner Jenny Goudie. See more places to spend the South Ayrshire Gift Card.
8. Thistle Island, Kirkcaldy. Thistle Island is a brand new business which opened in April 2021 selling candles, home fragrance, jewellery, handmade soaps, skincare, scarves and knick knacks. “People always comment on the little pieces I have in the shop. It’s only small but there’s so much to see,” said owner Joanne Drysdale. Discover the Fife Gift Card.
9. Ethical Gift Shop and Refillery, Huntly. The Ethical Gift Shop offers an eclectic mix of Fairtrade, ethical and hand-crafted items from around the world, local artisan produced crafts and curios and a refillery. Owner Ellie Turner said: “Work from over 80 local crafters is also featured in the shop. Everything from jewellery, photo frames and ornaments to musical instruments, stationery and giraffe statues! All of our items are handmade, most of them from recycled and eco friendly materials.” Part of the Aberdeenshire Gift Card.
10. Finishing Touches, Paisley. Celebrating 36 years in business this year, Finishing Touches is a lingerie shop. Owner Liz Stewart said: “Our ethos is to help our customers as much as possible, helping them to find a bra style that fits, that suits them and that they like. Choosing lingerie should be a nice experience and we do everything we can to make our customers feel comfortable. Discover the businesses who are part of the Renfrewshire Gift Card.
11. La Tortilla, Inverness. La Tortilla is a Scottish hidden gem, a family run tapas bar and restaurant with a menu featuring tapas, paella and desserts, plus a deli section selling unique gifts imported from Spain such as paella kits which include a pan, oil, rice and a recipe. Check out the Highlands Gift Card.
12. Wreckspeditions, Dunoon. Jason and Clare are the owners of family run Scottish business Wreckspeditions, based in Dunoon on the Cowal Peninsula, around 1 hour from Glasgow. If you’re looking for adventure, take a Wreckspeditions powerboat tour from the Holy Loch Marina to see the famous Sugar Shipwreck, exploring the historic and beautiful Clyde coastline, or a wildlife trip out to see the porpoises and seals. See more businesses who are part of the Argyll & Bute Gift Card.
This is just a taster of the hundreds of amazing Scottish businesses who are part of the 20 plus Scotland Loves Local Gift Cards available right across Scotland. Discover the businesses you can spend your regional Scotland Loves Local Gift Card at today!